Sunday, August 23, 2026
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
No Result
View All Result
Home Opinions

Guinea rubbish landfill collapse kills 30 in Conakry

by LJ News Opinions
August 23, 2026
in Opinions
0
Rescuers use an excavator to comb through a mountain of scattered rubbish at a major waste site in Conakry, Guinea, as local residents gather nearby. Photo: 23 August 2026
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


At least 30 people have been killed after a mound of rubbish at a major waste site collapsed on to nearby homes in Guinea’s capital Conakry, the government has said.

Another 22 people were injured, including six seriously, in the city’s Dar-es-Salam area.

“Significant” resources and personnel – including the military – have been deployed to search for survivors after the collapse at about 02:00 local time following heavy rain overnight, the government added in a statement.

One woman told local media her five children had died in the disaster. There are fears that the death toll will rise further.

Rescuers were later seen using excavators to comb through a mountain of scattered rubbish at the site as local residents gathered nearby.

Guinea’s Prime Minister Mamadou Oury Bah visited the scene to assess the situation and oversee the search efforts.

Neighbourhood leader Lancine Sylla had earlier told the AFP news agency he feared there would be a heavy death toll.

“We have pulled out 18 bodies that were taken to the morgue,” he said.

Another landslide at the site killed 10 people in 2017.



Source link

LJ News Opinions

LJ News Opinions

Next Post

Heavy rain and thunderstorms to soak Southeast, prompting flash flood threat

Recommended

A simple Alexa command exposed my husband’s sordid affair in graphic detail: Cheaters use ‘sneak mode’ to cover their tracks at home… but you can still uncover their hidden evidence

3 months ago

Valerie Bertinelli encourages followers to ‘begin again’ in the new year

2 years ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    LJ News Opinions

    Welcome to LJ News Opinions, where breaking news stories have captivated us for over 20 years.
    Join us in this journey of sharing points of view about the news – read, react, engage, and unleash your opinion!

    Category

    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • U.S.
    • World News

    Site links

    • Home
    • About us
    • Contact

    Legal Pages

    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Disclaimer
    • California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
    • DMCA
    • About us
    • Advertise
    • Contact

    © 2024, All rights reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • U.S.
    • Politics
    • World News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Health
    • Opinions

    © 2024, All rights reserved.