Sunday, August 16, 2026
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
No Result
View All Result
Home Opinions

US commander says mental health a ‘priority’ on USS Lincoln

by LJ News Opinions
August 16, 2026
in Opinions
0
The US Navy Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The USS George Washington is reportedly heading to replace the USS Lincoln and could arrive in the region in about a week.

Family members of sailors aboard the Lincoln have expressed concern about their mental health deteriorating due to the conditions, with some sailors having reportedly attempted to jump overboard.

Adm Cooper said in a statement on Sunday: “I’ve long believed that mental health is another aspect of individual health and requires our attention just like physical health and spiritual health.

“I applaud Lincoln’s leadership for… stepping up and making mental health and crew resilience a leadership priority.”

While the US Navy last week acknowledged supply challenges, it had denied a mental health crisis on the Lincoln, which has 5,000 people aboard.

Conditions aboard the ship have included poor sanitation, infrequent ports-of-call, broken plumbing and shortages of fresh food, according to reports last week in the Military Times and Stars & Stripes.

Thirteen Democrats on the Senate Armed Services Committee sent a letter on Saturday to Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth, criticising the length of the deployment as “a modern-day record” and demanding answers.

Last week, Hegseth called reports of conditions “completely misrepresented”, while President Donald Trump dismissed suggestions the sailors had been at sea too long, telling reporters on Friday: “Not nearly long enough.”

The USS Lincoln deployment, which was originally set to end in May, has been repeatedly extended. The personnel have reportedly been at sea without a port call for over 200 consecutive days.

Maryland’s Democratic Governor Wes Moore, a US Army veteran, told CNN on Sunday that the reported conditions were “heartbreaking” and the Republican president should have “more compassion”.

If you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this story you can visit BBC Action Line. Help and support outside the UK can be found at Befrienders Worldwide, external or you can call the US Suicide and Crisis Lifeline on 988.



Source link

LJ News Opinions

LJ News Opinions

Next Post

Runner injured after coming face-to-face with bear near Anchorage trailhead

Recommended

Kamala Harris’ interview with Fox News is marked by testy exchanges

2 years ago

Paramount offers Warner Bros. shareholders $74.4 billion for the company, challenging Netflix’s deal

8 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    LJ News Opinions

    Welcome to LJ News Opinions, where breaking news stories have captivated us for over 20 years.
    Join us in this journey of sharing points of view about the news – read, react, engage, and unleash your opinion!

    Category

    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • U.S.
    • World News

    Site links

    • Home
    • About us
    • Contact

    Legal Pages

    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Disclaimer
    • California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
    • DMCA
    • About us
    • Advertise
    • Contact

    © 2024, All rights reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • U.S.
    • Politics
    • World News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Health
    • Opinions

    © 2024, All rights reserved.