Tuesday, August 18, 2026
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
No Result
View All Result
Home Politics

UAE imposes indefinite trade embargo on Iran over alleged missile attacks | US-Israel war on Iran News

by LJ News Opinions
August 18, 2026
in Politics
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


Iran denies launching missiles at the UAE, suggesting the incident was a ‘false flag operation’.

The United Arab Emirates has imposed an indefinite trade embargo on Iran after accusing Iranian forces of firing two ballistic missiles at the country, an allegation Tehran denies.

In a statement early on Wednesday, the UAE’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the decision was made in “light of escalations that undermine peace and security in the region”.

Recommended Stories

list of 3 itemsend of list

“All trade, commercial exchanges and financial transactions with Iran have been halted until further notice,” it added.

The statement came after the UAE’s Ministry of Defence said its air defences detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iran, with one falling outside the country’s territorial waters and the other landing within them.

In a follow-up statement, the ministry said the missiles had been “targeting maritime traffic” and promised to “resolutely confront any attempt to undermine the security of the nation or maritime navigation in the region”.

Iran’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs rejected the accusation as “baseless”, with spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei suggesting it was a “false flag operation” amid the war launched by the United States and Israel against his country.

Baghaei warned the claim “contradicts the principle of good neighbourliness” and urged regional parties to steer clear of what he called unfounded claims against Tehran, and argued that any honest assessment of the situation must also weigh the “malicious actions” of the US and Israel.

US naval blockade

Tuesday’s attack came a day after a 60-day window for US-Iranian peace talks expired without a breakthrough in the more than five-month-old conflict.

In the war’s first six weeks, Iran targeted the UAE with retaliatory strikes more than any other Gulf country, launching more than 530 ballistic missiles, dozens of cruise missiles and over 2,200 drones at what it described as US assets. Tuesday’s strike is the first targeting the UAE since May, and comes days after Abu Dhabi accused Tehran of attacking two of its state-owned ADNOC (Abu Dhabi National Oil Company) vessels in the Strait of Hormuz.

Iran has not claimed responsibility for the ADNOC attacks.

The trade embargo comes as the US maintains a naval blockade on Iranian ports, with President Trump signalling a pivot towards economic pressure, rather than military pressure, to compel Tehran into accepting US demands.

Mark Kimmitt, a retired US general and former assistant secretary of state, told Al Jazeera the UAE’s trade embargo could hit Iran harder than anything Washington has imposed, with Dubai having quietly become Iran’s most important trading partner, edging out both China and Turkiye to supply roughly a third of everything Iran imports each year.

The UAE had suspended direct cargo shipping between the two countries in early March, just days after the war began, and resumed trade only in late June via Dubai’s Jebel Ali Port.

“I don’t think that you can overstate or understate the importance of the trade, both financial and goods trade, between Dubai and Iran,” Kimmitt said.

That reliance runs deeper than goods on ships, given Dubai’s standing as a global financial hub, which Kimmitt said has long given Iran a discreet way to move money around international sanctions, cutting off a route Tehran has long relied on for years. “In many ways, the embargo being put on by the UAE is even more significant than the embargo being put on by the United States,” he said.

The former general said he doesn’t expect other Gulf states to follow suit immediately, predicting a “wait-and-see” approach even if Iranian attacks continue.

But he said the UAE’s move is significant enough that Tehran could interpret it as bordering on an act of war, likening it to the near-total embargo the US imposed on Japan after World War II.

Source link

Tags: IranMiddle EastNewsUnited Arab EmiratesUS-Israel war on Iran
LJ News Opinions

LJ News Opinions

Next Post
Donald Trump in a navy suit with a yellow background.

Trump pauses new tariffs on Canada and says countries close to a deal

Recommended

A group of migrants make their way along miles of concertina wire deployed by the Texas National Guard under Operation Lone Star in El Paso, Texas on April 2, 2024.

Trump admin asks Texas for legal help representing immigrant kids

2 months ago

Six Syrian soldiers killed in Israeli strikes near Damascus: State media | Syria’s War News

12 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    LJ News Opinions

    Welcome to LJ News Opinions, where breaking news stories have captivated us for over 20 years.
    Join us in this journey of sharing points of view about the news – read, react, engage, and unleash your opinion!

    Category

    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • U.S.
    • World News

    Site links

    • Home
    • About us
    • Contact

    Legal Pages

    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Disclaimer
    • California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
    • DMCA
    • About us
    • Advertise
    • Contact

    © 2024, All rights reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • U.S.
    • Politics
    • World News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Health
    • Opinions

    © 2024, All rights reserved.