Loved ones are desperate for answers as they search for the suspect driver who killed a 21-year-old man in Orange County before speeding away.
Joshua Cervantes, 21, of Tustin, was killed by the driver on April 2, 2023 at around 2 a.m. as he and a friend, Amber Khan, were leaving a house party.
They had stood next to a car near the intersection of Ross Street and St. Gertrude Place for several minutes when a speeding SUV struck them and fled the scene.
Arriving officers found Cervantes lying on the road and unresponsive. He was rushed to a local trauma center and despite lifesaving measures, was pronounced dead. Khan suffered multiple injuries and was hospitalized for several days.
“All I can remember is that it came out of nowhere and hit me in the head,” Khan told KTLA’s Chris Wolfe. “I just remember seeing headlights and my friend on the floor in a pool of his own blood.”
Khan said the emotional trauma over losing her best friend will last a lifetime. She still suffers from nightmares over the crash and, along with Cervantes’ family, wants justice for his death.
“My son was the world to us,” said Frances Morga, the victim’s mother. “He was so special. The last day I saw him, I gave him a hug and told him ‘I love you,’ and he said ‘Mom, I love you,’ and that was the night the accident happened. I don’t know how to continue on without him. I miss him so much.”
His loved ones described Cervantes as a passionate artist who had plans to attend art school before he was killed.
The suspect vehicle is described as a silver or gold-colored early 2000s Ford Expedition SUV.
So far, the victim’s family said investigators have no solid leads on the case. The family is offering a reward between $15,000 to $30,000 for anyone who can provide information leading to the suspect’s capture.
“It’s the worst thing that’s ever happened to us,” Morga said. “He was very loving. I just miss him so much. He was everything to me.”
“I’m just devastated,” Khan said. “Somebody out there has to know something.”
Cervantes is survived by his parents, brother and community of friends. A candlelight vigil to honor Cervantes is being held on April 2 at 506 West Gertrude Street in Santa Ana at 7 p.m.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Santa Ana Police Department at 714-245-8665. Anonymous tips can be provided to OC Crime Stoppers at 1-855-847-6227 or online at occrimestoppers.org.