Sunday, August 23, 2026
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
No Result
View All Result
Home U.S.

Hawk Fire explodes to 10,500 acres near Reno, forcing evacuations

by LJ News Opinions
August 23, 2026
in U.S.
0
Flames burning in hills above a home
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A fast-moving brush fire exploded across more than 10,500 acres outside Reno, Nevada, on Saturday, threatening roughly 1,000 homes and prompting evacuations as powerful winds fueled the flames.

Nevada Gov. Joe Lombardo declared a state of emergency for Washoe County as the Hawk Fire grew quickly throughout the day. Strong, gusty winds, low humidity and dry vegetation helped fuel the flames, according to the Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District.

About 400 firefighters and other personnel from local, state and federal agencies were working the fire Saturday evening, both on the ground and from the air. Three helicopters were set to fly overnight as crews worked to protect homes and other property.

AI FIREFIGHTING DRONES TAKE AIM AT WILDFIRES

Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve said the fire had already burned structures, though did not immediately specify what type of structures. (Facebook/Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District)

“The Hawk Fire is a very dynamic incident for us as it’s being driven by the winds,” Truckee Meadows Fire and Rescue Chief Richard Edwards said in a video posted to social media.

“The wind-driven fires move very rapidly into our residential areas, creating a lot of challenges for our firefighters to save homes and protect lives,” Edwards added.

fire spreading in hills outside residential neighborhood

Fire officials said the Hawk Fire burning outside Reno, Nevada, is threatening roughly 1,000 homes. (Facebook/Washoe County Sheriff’s Office)

Officials ordered new evacuations for the Somersett community, including areas north of Somersett Parkway to Robb Drive, as well as neighborhoods north of West 7th Street to North McCarran Boulevard.

About 1,000 homes were also in a “Warning — GET SET” zone, with residents told to be ready to leave.

SPENCER PRATT REACTS TO SPOKANE DEVASTATION WITH BLUNT WILDFIRE WARNING AND MESSAGE OF FAITH

Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve urged anyone ordered to evacuate not to wait, saying the fire had already damaged structures.

Flames burning in hills above a home

Officials urged residents in evacuation zones to leave their homes. (Facebook/Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District)

“If you have been told to evacuate, please don’t wait!” Schieve said in a statement. “Structures have already been burned in this fire and your life is more important than a building.”

The mayor did not immediately specify what kind of structures were burned. She said leaving before the fire arrives also allows firefighters to focus on battling the flames rather than rescuing people who stayed behind.

smoke rising in the distance over mountainous area

The Hawk Fire exploded across more than 10,500 acres outside Reno on Saturday as strong, gusty winds, low humidity and dry vegetation helped fuel the flames, officials said. (Facebook/Washoe County Sheriff’s Office)

Lombardo also said the fire was threatening homes and other structures.

“This is an active and rapidly evolving situation, and I urge everyone in the affected areas to remain vigilant and follow the direction of local officials,” the governor said in a statement.

Officials were also keeping a close eye on the fire near a Washoe County correctional facility.

Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam said his office was working with fire and emergency crews and was prepared to act if conditions changed.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“The safety and security of every incarcerated individual, as well as our staff, remains a top priority,” Balaam said. “We will continue to evaluate conditions and respond accordingly.”

Source link

Tags: disaster responsefiresNevadaUSWildfire
LJ News Opinions

LJ News Opinions

Next Post

Earth's forests took 100,000 years to recover from the last climate shock — this one is moving 10 times faster

Recommended

Daily Show correspondent Roy Wood Jr mouths subtle message during Trevor Noah’s Emmy win as show enters second YEAR without compere

1 year ago

Iran condemns US strikes as 'gross violation' of ceasefire

3 months ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    LJ News Opinions

    Welcome to LJ News Opinions, where breaking news stories have captivated us for over 20 years.
    Join us in this journey of sharing points of view about the news – read, react, engage, and unleash your opinion!

    Category

    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • U.S.
    • World News

    Site links

    • Home
    • About us
    • Contact

    Legal Pages

    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Disclaimer
    • California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
    • DMCA
    • About us
    • Advertise
    • Contact

    © 2024, All rights reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • U.S.
    • Politics
    • World News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Health
    • Opinions

    © 2024, All rights reserved.