Saturday, August 22, 2026
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
  • Home
  • U.S.
  • Politics
  • World News
  • Business
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Technology
  • Health
  • Opinions
No Result
View All Result
LJ News Opinions
No Result
View All Result
Home Opinions

More than 16,000 doses of Ervebo vaccine arrive in Ebola-hit DR Congo | Ebola News

by LJ News Opinions
August 22, 2026
in Opinions
0
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter


The doses are the first of 70,000 allocated for Kinshasa as experts warn of the virus’s exponential spread.

Published On 22 Aug 202622 Aug 2026

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) has received more than 16,000 doses of the Ervebo vaccine as the country faces its deadliest-ever Ebola outbreak.

The 16,250 doses arrived in the capital, Kinshasa, late on Friday evening, comprising the first of 70,000 that the World Health Organization (WHO) and partners pledged to provide on Thursday.

Recommended Stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

More doses are set to arrive next week.

Although the vaccine is approved against the Zaire strain of the virus, the Bundibugyo strain currently circulating in the country has no approved vaccine or treatment.

Early data from animal trials show it may offer some protection, according to the WHO.

Samuel Roger Kamba, the DRC’s health minister, told reporters Ervebo had been used several times in the past, including “on a very large scale” during the 2018 to 2020 outbreak.

Of the 70,000 doses intended for the DRC, 20,000 will be part of a late-stage clinical trial to test its effect on the Bundibugyo strain, the WHO said. The remainder is allocated to front-line and health workers.

The outbreak has killed more than 2,500 people out of nearly 5,300 confirmed cases, with the United Nations warning this week that infections continue to spread “exponentially”.

Although the outbreak was declared in mid-May, it is believed to have started weeks beforehand. Data from the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, meanwhile, shows that transmission has not yet peaked and could reach three times its known rate.

Efforts to contain the virus have been stymied by ongoing armed conflict, delays in identifying cases and a lack of infrastructure in eastern DRC, experts say.



Source link

Tags: AfricaDemocratic Republic of the CongoEbolaNews
LJ News Opinions

LJ News Opinions

Next Post
A photo showing the Sydney Marathon medal, as shared by organisers on social media.

Sydney Marathon medal mistakenly depicts Munich stadium

Recommended

Brené Brown warns American workers are not wired for this level of rapid change and instability

1 month ago

Showers, wet commute on tap for parts of Southern California Monday

1 year ago

Popular News

    Connect with us

    LJ News Opinions

    Welcome to LJ News Opinions, where breaking news stories have captivated us for over 20 years.
    Join us in this journey of sharing points of view about the news – read, react, engage, and unleash your opinion!

    Category

    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Opinions
    • Politics
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • U.S.
    • World News

    Site links

    • Home
    • About us
    • Contact

    Legal Pages

    • Privacy Policy
    • Cookie Privacy Policy
    • Terms of Use
    • Disclaimer
    • California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA)
    • DMCA
    • About us
    • Advertise
    • Contact

    © 2024, All rights reserved.

    No Result
    View All Result
    • Home
    • U.S.
    • Politics
    • World News
    • Business
    • Entertainment
    • Sports
    • Technology
    • Health
    • Opinions

    © 2024, All rights reserved.